PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour building and what preparation for CPL/IR?
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 17:41
dakersg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks v.much for the very constructive responses. I'm certainly going to be concentrating on accuracy in my flying, and thorough planning/flight log maintenance. It does all seem to be becoming a bit more second nature with time and experience, which I guess is why the hour requirements are as they are.

I'm intending to get some further IMC practice/training just to ensure it is current (and maybe even improving . I guess, as with most things, the more you do, the more 2nd nature things become and hopefully the better pilot you become.

Certainly want to do the night rating over the winter months. Wasn't too sure if complex training would be useful at this stage, or if just building up P1 hours is better (mine seem a bit low at the moment 32hrs). So was thinking of some longer flights, to different airports and in different airspace. Managed 120nm each way recently, through Solent airspace (cheers folks for the friendly ATC), so not much further to go for that CPL x-country. Maybe some X channel sorties (seeing as though its quite close)??

Either way, I suspect I'll have to do some concentrated hour building just prior to starting the CPL. Time and money and all that.

WGW - I know it was a topic of a previous thread, but I think on balance I'd say definitely go for the IMC. Not so much for the flying in bad weather, but I think your flying becomes much more accurate and you as a pilot become more confident/safer knowing you have the back up of radio navigation/instrument approaches if required. And besides, its good fun. Not sure what others opinions are, but I found RANT 2000 a great package for understanding the basic principles RAD NAV, particularly if you have gaps between sessions and you want refresh your memory and practice an exercise before doing the real thing in the air(no substitute for that). I'll drop you an email as you suggested (would be interested in your experience in oz, as I now have a reason to visit there, and somewhere to stay )

Cheers