PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express pilot flirts with danger 4 times, grounded
Old 17th Nov 2011, 12:56
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been flying for over 36 years and expatting about 22 years. I've flown with greats and less than great both in the US and in the rest of the world. I've declined to ride a jump seat knowing who was at the controls, both in the US and in the rest of the world.

That said, enough of the Indian Bashing. No matter what part of the world you fly, you are bound to run into an aviator who is a legend in their own mind. You will meet aviators who are true aviators and very humble and enjoy imparting knowlege to their F/Os.

The system bares contributory negligence to who is put into the left seat. Seniority system needs to be revisted. The good old boy network needs to go away too.

If the guy was going to have only 200kg on arrival at Abu Dhabi, he didn't have enough fuel for the diversion

Sorry sports fans… endangering your passengers by allowing your fuel to go below divert is no excuse whatsoever. Local or expat… does not make a different where this child of the magenta line is from. He is far better off on the ground and out of the airline industy.

It also wouldn't hurt for the "captains" there would allow the fo's to take off and land the aircraft

The Indian DGCA along with many others round the world need to be vaporized in their current state and re-created from the ground up. Assisted takeoff and landing qualification. What rubbish!

Airlines need to also step up to the plate and insist that captains allow their F/Os to hand fly the airplane up to at least where cruise climb is initiated… and below, say 15,000’. Check rides need to be rethought as well. Check Airmen need insist on A/P disconnect well before flap extension to ensure that both pilots can successfully manipulate the controls. If not… then they need to be grounded. This is not limited to India either.