PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS operating single pilot?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2002, 19:41
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the point the Kaptin is trying to make is the intangible messages that it sends to both punters and operating crew. Firstly, whilst punters want to know that the boss is doing the work and probably feel 'safer' that way, it is a 'feeling that is based on false assumptions and ignorance. In this area we have an obligation (in my opinion) to educate the public that it takes two (or three or four) to drive the thing and whilst the boss may be the boss, there are times when others have significant input into what goes on. I acknowledge that to punters, perception is their reality and that that issue needs to be acknowledged but that shouldn't mean that we just 'accept' their reality. We should be attempting to alter their perception.

Whilst those of us who 'get' CRM or are comfortable with it's concepts may find the link somewhat thin between acknowledging the F/O and/or S/O in a PA at some stage , it nevertheless does send an albeit subtle message that the F/O is 'superfluous' to requirements. The company re-stating that the punters don't want to know about the F/O flying is a further subtle message that the F/O isn't important in the scheme of things. Maybe that IS the reality though and should be the discussion of an entirely new thread. How important are F/Os?

Now before anyone gets stuck into me. I'm not being 'precious' about it and a boss who doesn't acknowledge me will still get my full support etc, etc and for the most part, I won't think anything about it/them at all. I'm also not saying that it is big enough to be a safety issue- big enough to rate a mention in the crash investigation anyway. In a time though where CRM is moving gradually away from imploring Captains to be more 'inclusive' etc and moving towards skilling up F/Os to be more assertive, speak up more, etc, I find it interesting that the company would endorse something that could be construed by some more fragile personalities as being told 'back in your box'.

Yes Kap, there are CRM issues in QF just as there would be CRM issues in most airlines. Certainly, it appears that QFs heart is in the right place at the moment in terms of trying to make inroads to improving CRM and Human Factors skills in it's crews. Maybe this one will ultimately be addressed, maybe not.

Anyway, the bosses address is:
Geoff Dixon
CEO
QANTAS Airways Ltd
203 Coward St
Mascot, NSW, 2020

I'd also CC a copy to:
Captain Ian Lucas
Group General Manager Flight Operations and Chief Pilot (hows that for a title!!)
QANTAS Airways Ltd, etc, etc, etc.

Be interested to see if they write back!

Finally, I'll re-iterate again that from memory, the burst was always to not mention that the F/O or S/O was 'flying' the aircraft. That doesn't mean that we can't add their name in a PA somewhere or at least acknowledge their presence and skills in some way.

ACtually, just thought of something else. Watching the news this morning and noted that 'the pilot' survived the F50 crash in Europe. If we don't make the effort to get it right, why should the journo's. (My sympathies to the family of the other pilot who unfortunately didn't survive)