PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS operating single pilot?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2002, 10:07
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

one does not have to use a railway sleeper to kill a cat

Perhaps a common mistake some of us (myself included) make, is that because PPRuNe is targeted at professional pilots, we expect a modicum of intelligence to be displayed in the posts.
In addition, I would - on the one hand - class pilots as generally open-minded, occasionally unconventional/non-convential, and tolerant.
And on the other hand, classify them precisely 180 degrees the other way!

How many pilots with whom you associate, do you think of as being singularly selfish, but overly generous in social situations?
"Many", if not "most", I would {personally} reply.

Sorry if "bombastic" is the way I come across - the written word is NOT one of my stronger subjects!

Being an ex Ansett pilot from pre 1989 you would have experienced a good deal of “single pilot” mentality from some of your Captains.
Quite the contrary, in fact.
The pre-'89 Ansett pilots more-or-less looked upon themselves as a "family", handing on from one generation to the next the (high) standards that were expected to be maintained. As such, there was a sharing and nurturing that generally precluded the "single pilot" mentality.
Words of advice that will ALWAYS stay in my mind, came from one of those AN Captains relatively early in my career, and they were,
"I have to train you to a standard that I'll be happy with, so that if ever you're flying my family somewhere, I won't have to worry about them."
Single pilot mentalities, in multi-crew scenarios, just don't fit into that scope!!

"The Public” does not want to hear from the F/O and that the Captain would make all PA’s."
Quite FRANKLY, "The Public" generally wouldn't have a clue WHO was making the P.A.
If it's a male voice, they assume it's "The Captain".
(Conversely, if it's a female [voice], they presume it's "Cabin Crew"). Sexist as that remark seems, I'm afraid it would generally be qualified as correct!

Having said that, there is absolutely NO reason that the manipulating pilot could not introduce himself (on the P.A.) as, for example, "Good xxxxxxx , this is the pilot speaking. Blah, blah, blah."
This is ASSUMING of course, that the EGO in the lhs allows it.

For those of you who are unsure as to whom should be mentioned in the P.A. - hang around aviation a little longer and the answer(s) will slowly (but surely) crystallise!