PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX Resignations - pt 2
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 12:54
Captain Gidday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just dropping in here from a 'galaxy far, far away'. Here's something you might find useful I learned about 15 years ago while doing about 10 years straight on Reserve. Yeah, **it happens, even in the Majors.
If 'outside contact hours' calls are a bother to you guys, hear this. All landline phones can be configured to have TWO phone numbers ringing in to the same home phone/s. One number rings the normal way, 'two rings, two rings' the other number rings your phones in a distinctive way, 'three rings - three rings etc.'
So you set this up with Telstra, costs about $5 per month for the second number, then you leave all your friends on the 'two rings' number and you give scheduling [only] your new three rings number.
The phone rings: 'ring,ring,ring - ring,ring,ring. You know who it is straight away. Hmmm, you think. Am I obliged to answer it? Do I want to answer it? You decide! When this happens in our house, even today, we all laugh and my daughter [now 15 and has had this happen all her life, come to think of it] rolls her eyes and says 'Dad, it's Them, are you answering'?
My employer is smart enough to have an unlisted number and does not show up on caller ID. Maybe yours does still show up on ID? I don't know.
[Don't ever give your mobile number to your employer].
Instant difference to Quality of Life.