PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birth Certificates - RAF Brats born overseas
Old 12th Nov 2011, 07:29
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 84nomore
On entering the USA, the Border Control officer would not let him enter stating that as he was Cypriot (place of birth Akrotiri Cyprus on British Passport)
Not quite the same but I had my passport renewed (for free) at the BHC in Nicosia. A couple of years later I presented at the Yugoslav border on the drive home and was refused entry. Our co, my navigator for the drive home was OK. It was pointed out that I did not had the stamp "Right of Entry to the United Kingdom" in the passport.

I pointed out that it was thus written in sky blue ink with the magic words. No good. The British Embassy had instructed the authorities that only passports with that STAMP were permitted as too many people were driving from places well to the east and then camping out in the embassy grounds.

I had to return to Thesalonika and get a visa.

PS, you were lucky as they are not noted for their SoH or tolerance. A friend entering the USA, as he did frequently, had a plaster on his finger. When asked why he replied "Cut myself perhaps?" He was lucky they let him in but they delayed him for nearly an hour.