PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question to QF pilots
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 02:51
InTheWeeds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spend 2/3 of my life away for home. Once upon a time I had 1-2 seats on every flight that I could use so that I could have my spouse or one of my kids with me at Christmas.
Really? Seeing as though all I hear is QF pilots crying how tough they have it I want to put this in to perspective, and have you look in to my world.

I spend about 9-10 months away per year up to six month at a time. My spouse and son can't come an visit me over chistmas because no one wants their family in a conflict area. My wife gets to worry every time she sees the news.

I just watched a mate buried the other day because an "ally" shot him on parade. One of three good mates I have lost in Afghanistan.

When you go away you are safe in the knowledge that if you crash you are met by emergency services, people who want to help you. We have to extract ourselves from the wreckage and evade until rescue. If you don't get killed in the initial firefight then you can look forward to getting your head sawn off on aljazeera. All this for just under six figures.

When not overseas we can look forward to some annual leave...Bearing in mind that Christmas is disaster season - floods, cyclones and bushfires all get our leave cancelled quick smart - and takes us away from our families.

So forgive me if I don't lobby my local member or fly the "poor Qantas pilots" flag. You are like every other Australian worker. If someone can do your job cheaper then you get the chop - isn't the free market a bitch.

You don't have to and no one really cares mate
No one does mate...the Nation is over it.