PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Pilot Recruitment 2012
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 01:06
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug the Head - as one who has given many of your waking hours to your pathological hatred of the airline industry in general and easyJet specifically, it is possibly not surprising to you that you have yet more reason to bleat about what is coming to pass. Possibly more surprisingly to you may be that, in this case, I agree with you.

The Lisbon contract fiasco is a disaster that has come at the worst possible moment for 'pilot engagement'. Although there were the old guard like yourself who saw no good in any manager, there were many of us who saw great potential for Carolyn McCall and her 'new broom' approach. She has, unfortunately, made a terrible error of judgement in this, either by her active involvement or allowing it to happen by omission. I have to say that it is imperative for her credibility that she acts sooner rather than later to sort this mess out. Fortunately, there are those who are actively engaging with her Doug, rather than carping on the sidelines saying, 'I told you so'. This is not a done deal, but it is bad news by any standard. Furthermore, the vibes from Project Merlin and the pay talks are all pretty negative - there is no one more hacked off about that than me. Nonetheless, let us see the substance as there is a great deal of horse trading to take place yet. I see a big, and totally unnecessary, conflict coming very soon. We have no choice but to fight this, but there is such a better way of doing industrial relations. In the past, I have been confident of the outcome and a reasoned settlement - I have to be honest and say that I really do not feel that here. Once the dust has settled and we have seen the real facts about what is on offer, rather than ill-informed rumours, then we will be in a better position to know what the deal is.

In the meantime, the rumour is that BALPA have reached some accommodation with the Company over the 737 Contract Captains, whereby they become Airbus captains and go to Lisbon! If that turns out to be true then there will be some serious changes on the CC, starting at the top. The deal surrounding that was absolutely explicit at the time - 737 Contract Captains for the duration of the Boeing and that was that. If the CC have been found to have done a back door deal on this then there will be some BIG problems. I still hope that is not the case, but would be greatly comforted by an 'official' clarification on this from a BALPA CC member. So Doug, you are right to be concerned - I am too. Let us wait and see what transpires.