PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2011, 15:19
suninmyeyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a professional airline pilot I would say it looks real.

Although it is possible I don't think the nose was raised due to an accidental push of TOGA nor an intentional attempt to manually rotate into the air. There was no increase in thrust evident and you certainly wouldn't rotate with the intention of getting airborne without having goaround power.

I suspect the nose was raised when the left wheels dug into the grass and the rapid deceleration pitched the nose down compressing the nose oleo. There would be an instinct to pull back to reduce the weight on the main wheels and make them less likely to dig in to the grass. If it was an autoland the autopilot may still have been engaged in which case more force than normal would have been required to move the control column aft. Once it had been moved back a bit the autopilot would disconnect with a lurch and with the same force still applied the control column would then rapidly move back thus producing an abrupt nose up pitch until back pressure was reduced or reducing airspeed meant it was no longer possible to keep the nose in the air.

After the rotation the nosewheel came down into the grass where right rudder fine or tiller input would be less due to skidding, then when it made it back on to the tarmac and the nosewheel suddenly gained grip it would turn to the right rapidly.

All conjecture until the facts come out.

Last edited by suninmyeyes; 11th Nov 2011 at 15:35.