PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JP landing instruction
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 16:51
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Happy memories as a B2 QFI (well, memories anyway) of a JP3 stude doing a reasonable job in a fairly strong crosswind. I let him persist (mistake) despite his having drifted onto the downwind side of the runway. Imagine my surprise, and his, when he decided to kick of the drift with a good boot of the wrong rudder. With me now flying (ish...) as we left the runway sideways at 0ft 6", I can still remember wondering which would come first, the stall or what passed for power, and why the runway lights were now 3 ft high!

I learned from that experience and so was ready to seize control in good time from one of his course-mates, a gentleman of Middle Eastern origin, who (unusually) followed some of my my instructions to the letter. With a gentle 5 kts down the strip, he produced an immaculate 3 degree approach at Dishcloth that would have resulted in a touchdown just past the numbers had I left him to it. Sadly, I must have omitted to mention earlier that it was traditional to point the ac somewhere down the runway when landing. He was not pleased when I suggested that 30 degrees off runway heading was perhaps a bit much on this occasion...