PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All Engineers need to sign
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2011, 15:59
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Oh that one again.

I have a degree (two in fact), added on several years more training, then a few more years doing a responsible professional engineering job - and for all that get to call myself a Chartered Engineer (and I can sign passport photographs!).

In the hangar next door to my office are people with several years at college, rather more years of training, a shedload of CAA exams passed, and they are called Licenced Engineers.

And I can sit down with them and work through systems diagrams and analysis - some stuff I'm a lot better than they are, some stuff they're a lot better than me, we're all engineers.

All of us put on overalls occasionally, all of us put a suit on occasionally.

And occasionally somebody comes into the office to fix the photocopier. They probably did a 6 week course, and are a semi-skilled technician.

I do agree with protection of the word "Engineer" for people with a high degree of education, AND training, AND assessment. I wouldn't give it to an unskilled mechanic, and I wouldn't give it to a fresh Engineering graduate still working their way to IEng or CEng. I would give it to a Licenced, Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.

G