PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - security, restore the balance of power
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2011, 14:28
Poltergeist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is a shame that Piltdown Man comments when he is incorrect. Damming system as a whole by attacking the front line staff for the system is disingenuous to say the least. I am not in front line aviation security but I am working to improve it for everyone internationally . I have studied risk management in aviation security and the assertion that crew could not be made proxy attackers is quite wrong and has no empirical support neither does the conclusion that security staff are a bigger risk. There are many cases of proxy attacks in europe, no one is exempt unless you have found some evidence to the contrary. The biggest risk is misinformation.

The problem clearly here is one of how the security is conducted at the front end and industry is making advances having recognised the importance of human factors as air operations did themselves after analysing accidents. There are some staff who are as described in their approach and they are being dealt with on the whole. I have to say, I have also witnessed crew who have been rude and uncooperative from the outset - there are bad apples in both worlds folks!

So how do we go forward? the consultation about SeMS is not going to affect screening in reality. It is about industry playing a greater part and government playing a lesser part, it is about the management of security, the metrics involved and how they are acted on. This will mean that aviation entities will be given an outcome but will have a big say in how they achieve it. The requirement to screen all pax and staff is unlikely to change. The argument for relaxing measures for crew is, in my opinion, likely to fail. Where will the line be drawn? do we then screen engineers, baggage handlers, caterers? after all, they all have trusted positions that involve the safe operation of aircraft.

Retraining of staff is, I believe the answer. Backed with new technologies security will be less arduous for all but standards will be high. You may be interested to know that in the UK at least, airport operators are spending a lot of money to improve things and get their house in order. The EU also is putting a big effort into this.

As for the 'numpty' title would those who use it refer to pilots using the same name? after all the number of people killed by crew error far outweighs the headline figure for security staff. Such posts do not help those of us trying to put things right.