PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2011, 04:51
777vs330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my previous life with SIA, ever since the FOs found out that they are not able to record autoland as their PF sectors that count towards their upgrade criteria, I never had one who's interested in doing an autoland, and Patty is right, if there's a need to autoland, we might as well do it for the sake of recency.

Back to the topic, it would be interesting to find out whether did the incident happened as a consequence of autopilot deviation, or as a result of manual intervention in attempt for landing.

SWQ is quite a new 773ER that I had not flown prior to leaving Singapore, but I did recall on 2 occasions I had to disconnect the A/P and landed manually during practice autoland. Once was due LOC deviation that was becoming significant, and the other was G/S deflecting causing A/P to pitch nose down too quickly too close to ground at less than 200'. I was lucky that I'm old school and paid close attention to any deviation, and sadly, on both occasions, both the FOs did not catch the deviations. In this sense, I think perhaps CargoJock has made some valid observations on the operational aspects in SIA. Though Cargojock ought to get out and not be a pain to everyone, if he is in fact, the same style when he's in uniform.

And whilst everyone is still waiting, my old friends told me that there's no need to worry about the PIC as he's very well connected and slated to be one of future Chief Pilots (well not sure of his chances now..) and the important thing is no one was hurt and we all could learn something from it.