PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Women - The ATA in WW11
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2011, 07:28
777boyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Womens role in WW2...

500N,

No argument with the point you make. Women in WW2 seem to have risen to the occasion magnificently, across the social strata. My wifes' Great Grandmother was bombed in a munitions factory in Birmingham,but stuck with it for the duration, and I'm sure there are many, many other such tales around. And I've always had enormous admiration for the courage of the girls of SOE, whose stories are now occasionally popping up in the national press as they sadly leave us, not always in the circumstances which they deserve. As an aviator, tho', I find it easier to relate to the exploits of the ATA girls, flying around in what would now be regarded as very basic kit in all sorts of inclement weather, let alone with the threat of someone loosing of bits of hot metal at you.

If you'll permit me a short related thread creep, I'm as guilty as the next member of our generation (upper mid-50''s) in being critical of "the youth of today". Its very easy to assume they would not rise to the occasion the way the WW2 generation did. However, I recently attended a wedding at the RMA Sandhurst, and I have to say the experience bolstered my faith in todays younger generation - a fine bunch of young officers present, almost all in their mid-20's, the majority of whom sported the Afghan medal. I dare say the experience would have been the same had the wedding been at Cranwell, Dartmouth, or any other military school. I take my hat off to them all - certainly made me realise that we are still producing some of that "stiff upper lip" quality that 500N refers to. The weak link now is undoubtedly the politicians, political correctness and general liberal outlook which we've been inundated by. But enough of that.

I'll certainly raise a glass on the 11th to all the women who served, in whatever capacity.

7B