PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Women - The ATA in WW11
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2011, 20:34
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We all agree that the women of the ATA were great, I would just like to make a comment on the women in general of that era who lived through WWII and just after, mainly based on what my Grand mother told me.

From an era where ladies didn't work or were secretaries to the war starting and the whole lifestyle turning upside down and from what I can gather, they mucked in and got on with the jobs needing to be done - starting with our current Queen.

From becoming farm workers in all of the British weather (often sent well away from home), factory workers, joining the forces all the way to SOE agents behind enemy lines (Nancy Wake, The White Mouse gave a talk at my unit dinner one year, very impressed, RIP).

And of course those who stayed in the big cities had to contend with the Blitz, Doodlebugs, V2's and in my grand mothers case being shot at by a Stuka.

We don't hear nearly as much about these people as maybe we should.

I just thought it was worth mentioning all of the women as this is where I could first relate the terms "stiff upper lip and got on with it" when I first heard them.

Apologise for the thread drift but thought they deserved a mention.