PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2011, 16:04
DoMePlease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facts are:
No one currently employed at SQ is going to very interested in making any critical remarks. If you don't know why you don't know Singapore. Laudatory and defensive comments will be loud and vigorous and supported. Don't expect an avalanche of information related to past very close shaves either. CFIT or otherwise.

There are no procedures for the switching of the roles from Captain to FO for an autoland. Who is doing the call-outs? Who is looking out the window? Who is calling "Flare" or "No Flare" or "Centreline"? You think the Captain is not going to be looking at the runway? Who is going to disconnect if things go awry?

In spite of this, SQ FOs were routinely landing using the autoland feature. Why? Because sometimes it was too gusty or too much crosswind (it didn't take much) and they, the Captain, or both were uncomfortable.

But, no one knows why the airplane went off the runway - it is way too early
for anyone to make accusations here. Frankly, I would like to believe the crew did a great job and saved a bad situation and I will hold that opinion until I learn otherwise.
This is false. FOs do not PF an autoland, whether practice or actual. Therefore, there is no "switching" of roles.

In spite of this, SQ FOs were routinely landing using the autoland feature.
This is very untrue (see above).