PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2011, 15:50
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding FOs doing practice autolands, don't confuse this with doing a practice CatII/III approach, it is only an autoland carried out in Cat I or better. In the event of captain incapacitation an autoland may well be the best way for the now over worked, single crew FO to go. If SIA have stopped even practice autolands for FOs then they have changed their policy.
I agree with some very experienced posters here that SIA is a fine company but I do not agree that Autoland is a useful tool for single pilot operation except in an emergency. The autoland system on any aircraft is a very delicate part of the aircraft, and even smallest deviation can lead to catastrophic outcomes - as one can easily recognize here.

Autoland - as in Cat III or Cat I weather - is maneuvring very close to ground and needs a perfect supervision by both of the crew. It is therefore a two pilots operation with fine tuned procedure. Every move of the two at the controls has to be known and trained. Because there is very little lead time and very little time to react.

Autoland, as it has been designed, is never intended to replace doubted landing skill of a junior crew member. Even training and trial autolands have to be made in the exact same crew configuration as in 75m RVR.

Autoland done by the FO is therefore a very unique procedure in SIA. I'm sure it will be removed as soon as more news are upcoming.

Dani