PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2011, 09:26
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Sad to see, and sad to read people knocking SQ, they were a good outfit when I flew for them and I've no reason to think otherwise now, If I had to start again I know which airline I'd work for considering the way my previous "Legacy Flag Carrier" is now treating their 'oldies'. SQ made us feel part of the team - might have been BS - but it worked ! ( They still do, just read the latest Staff magazine that they still send me, over dinner - my previous airline now want me to pay for theirs, Fat Chance )

SQ were not too proud to appoint some of us Ex-pats to their training section, but nevertheless one of my colleagues remarked that the wheel had turned full circle, do you remember, he said, when we started, some of the old WWII Captains that we flew with couldn't fly a decent instrument let-down to save their lives, but pop out of cloud too high, not lined up, not configured, and say - the runways' over there, Sir ( never forgetting the Sir ) and they would straighten up and fly an immaculate visual approach to a perfect touchdown, whereas now the young guys we are training, brought up on a diet of Space Invaders and Flight Sim. can fly a let-down to minima far better than we ever could, or will, but break out and have to connect the real aeroplane to the real earth and they have problems.

Not a new scenario and getting worse in todays' automated world regardless of the logo. on the tail. I always thought that handling the auto-land was much harder than flying the beast ! Flying the thing was the easy bit.

Commiserations to all concerned, I hope that any action towards the crew is not just 'pour encourager les autres' and everyone can learn from it.

Best of luck.