PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Health and Safety in Aviation
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2011, 11:58
nesboy 1976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1
I'm in the final stages of my Diploma. I'm not currently working in the 'Industry' as i'm in the heavy manufacturing industry (Steel).

I can easily see where the skills and knowledge that i have gained over the last few years coupled with my previous aviaiton experience can be put to good use to potentially improve safety within aviation.

From my own experiences the flight safety culture is mature but the H&S aspect is particularly weak.

I remember working for an small regional operator where one of the cabin crew (single crew) bounced off every surface in the rear galley due to turbulance breaking 2 ribs and bruising all over.

She had approximately 3 weeks (maybe more, it was a few years ago) off work due to her injuries. We are talking about a recordable, LTA here! The airline didn't have any H&S presence and a poor flight safety manager at the time.

There was no investigation, next steps to ensure it doesn't happen again, communication to the other cabin crew, updating of the turbulance procedures in the cabin crew manual.....bah bah bah....

That's is where H&S would fit in to the aviation industry!