PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Detonation caused by lean mixture
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 02:55
Aerozepplin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do a search by threat subject for "LOP" (lean of peak), and "lean". There are many threads with some very valuable information. Its an area of knowledge greatly lacking in many of the references and flight training organisations. Even ground-leaning for example is a great idea, but many new instructors (and some experienced) look at me like I'm going to make the engine explode.

Just the fact that a lean mixture doesn't magically cause detonation on its own blew my mind when I was a new CPL. There's far to much to write about in one post, but my advice is always to keep researching the material. Don't trust things that refer to "over-lean" or "leaning too agressively", because these statements are only half true and in my opinion indicate a reliance on bar-talk myth. Many of the operating practices that people use such as lean of peak, and wide open throttle likely aren't possible in a carby training aircraft, but the principles behind them are valuable in understanding what happens inside an engine at different power and mixture settings.

Or read the bible:
Pelican's Perch - More Stories

There's one heck of a lot in there though. I spent many months reading, understanding, not understanding, re-reading, and pondering the information in Mr Deakin's work. Now I preach about him like its a cult.