PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost over quality - a pilot training revolution?
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 21:48
student88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost over quality - a pilot training revolution?

Fellow Prunes,

I've just been reading this article by David Learmount. Something mentioned that interested me was the point about ATPL theory, cramming a student just to pass the exams at the expense of actually learning the content.

Pilots have been saying for years that the majority of whats taught on the ATPL syllabus is not actually required knowledge on the job, but is it? Whilst I was studying my ATPLs I quickly realised that the subjects were surprisingly out of date. Do EASA plan on updating the syllabus anytime soon?

Im keen to know if any of you CPL ME IR MCC holders are actively going back on training to fill in the gaps on what you once learnt in an effort to better understand your art. What ways are you refreshing yourselves and do you feel a much more competent aviator because of it? Have any flight instructors/experienced commercial pilots noticed a decline in the quality of airmanship over the last 10 years?

I look forward to hearing your views.