PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2011, 08:57
aeromechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
older apprentice

I just finished my TB1aircraft maintenance course 1st 16 subjects at TAFE Broadmeadows (Aviation Australia). Paid for the course with my own money plus borrowed a bit to survive a 9 month study course without regular income. Was keen to apply for the Qantas apprenticeships and accordingly did so in September. I had high hopes and with a determined mindset I applied myself for this outcome only to find out that I now can't be accepted because I am a New Zealander. Here at TAFE they didn't realise and wished they knew before hand! Won't bother elaborating on the rest of this saga but to make a long story short, we were briefed before the course started so thought I had all me ducks in a row, 90% change of employement in the industry, to me worth the risk and to launch my midlife career change (I am 50). Now i sit here high and dry, but i am not going to give up on this dream of mine. Don't get too much help from the establishment here other than ensuring you pay your course fees obviously. I will try to get into the GA industry, something I actually love more anyway. I am in Victoria. Anyone who has a lead, I'll be overjoyed hearing from you. I know this industry is word to mouth