PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Wilpena under the stars
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2011, 10:09
goin'flyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok then, i guess i'll be the first pilot to comment on the event, seeing as i have attended the last few years.

It is an absolutely amazing event, held in a very unique location. If you go, make sure you take the camera as the sunset can be absolutely amazing.

It is a black tie event, however there are always a few who don't wear a tux and seem to get away with it.

Food is good (not fantastic), and the refreshments are plentiful (even if you have to take the empty wine bottle back to the bar to get a replacement full one).

We stay at the Wilpena resort, which is usually booked out very early, there are also camping facilities at the resort. There are buses that run back and forth until LATE (Wilpena resort bus is gold coin donation). THere are buses that run to other places like Hawker, not sure where else.

If flying in, there is a small strip located near the Wilpena resort, but very limited parking available. Rawnsley Park and Hawker are also nearby airstrips. I'm sure you can find a phone number for contacting them yourself.

I'm not sure what the go is with purchasing tickets as i am provided with a ticket each year. In my opinion, it is definately worth the money, and by the sounds of things on this thread, there could very well be a PPRUNE table at the next one.

Hope that answers some of your questions.