PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in a Twin
Thread: PPL in a Twin
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2011, 02:58
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by IO540
Setting aside stuff like insurance issues, I think the answer will depend on what you ultimately want to do.

The PPL training business simply assumes the punter is probably going to drop out ASAP, and the few that stay will just do burger runs.

So it makes sense to train in spamcans.

The more keen and better funded people who want to do e.g. serious flying around Europe and want to buy their own plane are discouraged, because the instructors know almost nothing about the subject and because they want to keep him soing self fly hire for as long as possible.

Let's say your objective is to get an IR and do European touring. (Touring beyond Europe is a hassle, relatively, due to corruption, fuel issues, overflight permits, etc). Wouldn't it make sense to get yourself trained in a plane which at least resembles what you will ultimately be flying?

I gather that various air forces have stopped SE spamcan training because it is just a waste of time.

Flying a more complex type requires a better intellectual grasp, but flying something with a G1000 also requires a better intellectual grasp...
I think your premise is fundamentally flawed. Regardless of the technological spiffyness of the aircraft there is a irreducible minimum level of pure stick and rudder skill that is necessary. The best way to first get this skill IMO, is in a simple airplane. There seems to be a lot of Cirrus and Columbia's that are being bent due to poor handling skills, especially on landing and I have to wonder if this is a result of too much emphasis placed on "system management" and not enough on actually manipulating the control stick/wheel.

A well taught PPL on a basic trainer will have all the fundamental flying skills that will serve him/her well regardless of the type subsequently flown.

The true problem is post PPL training. That is to be taught how to add to those basic skills so the pilot becomes proficient in the real world A to B flying that makes an aircraft useful. Unfortunately most flying school instructors are of very little use to a new PPL who wants to learn how to effectively and safely use his new G1000 speedster in the real world.