PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in a Twin
Thread: PPL in a Twin
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 18:21
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, real travel and as a business (or pleasure) tool it is hard work in Europe. Wasn't it someone in another thread that asked which London UK GA airport that's open after dark and pretty much the only one that's even an alternative unless you have a jet and can pay £500 handling is Biggin Hill? You'll have to declare an emergency around London (one of the biggest cities in Europe, the financial center) if you arrive at 9.01pm. It's mind boggling.

I pretty much got back into flying so that I can use it for travel and pleasure. I still nurse a naive thought of one day winning the lottery and being able to fly my Piaggio Avanti to all my work engagements. I would love to never have to fly commercial again. But even if I did win big, regulations and hassles would pretty much prevent it in Europe. In the US it's a no brainer.

So for now, I use the old dinosaur twin I fly as a pleasure tool mostly, with the occasional work stuff thrown in when the moons align. Only time she's a alternative is on shorter routes and to slightly off-the-beaten-path places. That's when they save time and money. For longer trips between big cities it's just financial suicide and time consuming. Not to say it's not worth doing, it just doesn't make any rational sense.