PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Pilot Recruitment 2012
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 17:26
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 172 Likes on 66 Posts
easyJet salaries until very recently were published on the main company website under the careers section though I note they have now been removed. A google search or glance at PPJN reveals current salary rates in a millisecond.

A word of advice to all people interested in joining a career airline: take all the sales talks (i.e. management propaganda!) of spineless A-scalers like WWW, NSF and AdM with a large pinch of salt!

I pointed out the fact that easyJet salaries are competitive in response to Doug the Heads familiar contention that it is not a career airline. Whatever that may be. easyJet Captains in Italy, France and Spain all make north of €170,000 and take home over €9,000 a month. That's better than BA training captain money and you don't even have to commute to Hounslow from your villa. Not long ago I turned down the offer to move to easyJet Rome and give myself a 40% pay rise. A point I chose not to make as this isn't a willy waving competition about how much we get paid..

However, things could have been very different for you and I. Imagine if your only route had been the CTC way? This is the sh1tty reality now, because instructing/twin time and even TP time will NOT get you into easyJet or many other places besides. The only way to go is to open the cheque book and bend over - unless you want a career in regional TP's.

What's wrong with a career in regional airlines? If everyone else is off writing massive cheques to large overpriced FTOs then that leaves the field clear for people who want to fly real aeroplanes following just £46,000 of modular training. A cost which has never been cheaper in real terms. The wages of non-large-jet airline pilots will probably rise as fewer and fewer competent people come out of the training system which isn't just a glorified JOC course.

And anyway is it really worse to spend £85,000 but get all your training from zero to A320 base training done in 18 months followed by a first year of A320 flying on about £20,000 followed by the next year on >£32,000 followed by a permanent contract the year after next on >£50k?

It took me a good few years of sh1tty pay, sh1tty conditions and constant worry to get my first airline job. I was nearly killed twice whilst instructing. And I mean nearly killed. In fact my first instructing job was replacing this guy.

Of course I lament the lowering of the first rungs of the professional ladder. I clearly see how that drags the whole ladder lower. But I can't get hysterical about the self inflicted damage the Wannabe zombie army does to itself and I can't lose a sense of perspective over it.