PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Billionaires and Occupy Wall St.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 15:22
Marcus550

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't particularly concerned, but thanks for your kind words. Perhaps I'm a bit different than other "millionaires" in that a bit more than 20 years ago, I was broke. And unemployed. My wife and I borrowed $5000 from relatives, started a business, worked 12 to 16 hour days for years to build the business. When we sold it in 2007 it had roughly 4000 employees, almost all of whom were salaried, not hourly. We paid above average wages, and provided excellent benefits. Our turnover was less than 1% per year. I did nothing to destroy the middle class but do agree that that is exactly what is happening out there in the real world.

Though my net worth is in the mid 9 figure range, I am NOT a "job creator". At most, our family employs about 12 people and that number is very unlikely to ever increase. We make no particular effort to increase our income, which comes entirely from dividends, interest and capital gains. We pay tax on that income and if somebody wants to tax us more than we're currently being taxed that's just dandy with me. Why? Because this country provides wonderful opportunities without which our success wouldn't have been possible. Payback time as far as I'm concerned.

Am I crazy enough to provide what my security guy calls "personally identifying information" on a public forum? No. Would I post the tail number of our aircraft here? No. My original visit here was born of curiosity about how others run their flight departments. Our left seater visits here as well, but I don't think I've ever seen him post anything. In any case, I do appreciate the information that has been provided to me.