PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Pilot Recruitment 2012
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 14:20
Narrow Runway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't call you selfish. You and I came from the fortunate era when airlines were willing to stump up cash and invest in you. That has been good for me.

My licence has: B757/B767, A320, A330, A340 and BD Global Express ratings in it. And most importantly, we hold our Commands.

You see, that is the rub. If you're lucky early on and get a lucky break, it is likely that more "lucky breaks" follow - because you've got valuable experience and people can see it and want it.

Consider your situation WWW. I believe you DID do the "hard yards" and instructed, flew smaller machinery and worked bloody hard to get into easyJet. Good for you. You also have offered good advice to wannabees in the past - indeed your advice about borrowing too much was prescient (but also obvious).

However, things could have been very different for you and I. Imagine if your only route had been the CTC way? This is the sh1tty reality now, because instructing/twin time and even TP time will NOT get you into easyJet or many other places besides. The only way to go is to open the cheque book and bend over - unless you want a career in regional TP's.

The old route has been blocked, indeed permanently closed it would seem to anyone without a large backer. And that includes probably a great many talented youngsters who just can't raise the cash.

I don't think it'll go back the way it was and that is why those of us who are considerably more fortunate than those coming through now should be wary. Once the majority of pilots in any company are on lower scales, then the old guard are at risk of being squeezed too. So, for now you're sitting pretty. But just as the Junior FO has lost out recently, it could be us more senior guys next.

I can't understand why you needed to bring up your salary? Absolutely pointless and if I'm honest rather sad.