PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the JAA PPL Dead?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2002, 10:21
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy chaps (and chapesses),

I'm not rubbishing the JAA PPL at all, it as a great licence to have. Sometimes it seems totally set up for Airline wanabees though, which is where the NPPL would come in to play, except it doesn't address the issue of the PPL who wants more than the basic sight seeing trip.

My point about the FAA IR and the 3000' thing was not totally relevant to this post, I just got carried away ......the IMC rating does not allow one to fly in class A airspace, nor does the FAA IR on a G reg plane, but I believe that a true 'private' instrument qualification should exist under JAR which allows the holder to exercise true IR priviliges without having to encounter exorbitant costs. The FAA IR allows the holder to remain current by experience, so shooting 6 approaches, navigating by navaids, and holding in you logbook for the preceeding 6 months means that nothing else is needed to remain current. In my view this is the way the IMC rating should be treated.

Another point is the ME revalidation. Yes, if one flies 10 hrs per year in a ME aircraft, then the revalidation costs are not so different. However under the FARs one does not need to do the "10 route sectors" or whatever every year, but needs a BFR every second year. This does reduce the pressure to remain current and in my experience an insurance company is normally only interested in ME and total time. In my case I haven't flown a multi for a while, but on a recent trip to the US I went up and did a BFR with an instructor. This cost me 2 hrs rental and the instructor, but it now means my qualification won't lapse for a couple of years. Next time I go back to the US, I'll probably do another hour with the instructor to get 'safe' and then I can go jollying off around the skies. Incidentally regarding 'current' and 'safe'........ I won't fly if I am 'current' but don't feel 'safe', however when I am 'safe' its nice to know I am 'current' if you know what I mean....

Cheers
EA