PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 212 Crash - Helisul (INAER Portugal)
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 00:23
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Gordy's views on Military pilots making the conversion to civlian flying match mine exactly.

The tasks are sometimes similar as Geoffers suggests but only to a point.

In the Mob the Pilot generally is an Officer (sometimes a Gentleman) and sees himself in that way out of habit brought on by the system he finds himself working within.

One slides into your jeans and tee-shirt (black trousers and white shirt/nomex pickle suit) and you "Officer" status just went out the window. You are just another working stiff with a special skill...just as the fuel truck (bowser) driver, mechanic (engineer), and anyone else on the crew. Your crew might be just you...you and the spanner ****** or even a couple of ground support folks and not a couple of dozen folks of all ranks and hat badges. You are the primary contact with the customer who you have to keep happy....and work for your boss fellah who you also have to keep happy. You don't have access to all sorts of support structure, have to make your own decisions, and do so without any supervision generally.

Most utility operations are single pilot....it is not unusual for you to be sat on the wrong side of the aircraft if you are long lining (think Bell Mediums here), and you spend most your time hanging out in the middle of the H-V diagram you learned never to enter. There are few if any SOP's that apply to every situation you can find yourself confronted with...and no one handy you can seek advice from.

The military trains pilots to a common standard....they are big on standardization as they are large organizations. Independent thought is not encouraged...and in most outfits not desired. Training is very controlled....done to a script and follow a gouge sheet with lots of boxes to be "x'ed" out...and if it ain't on the checklist...it does not get done.

Military Pilots are no different skill wise than civilian pilots....there are good ones and there are no so good ones. Military slingloading compared to using Long Lines is like apples and oranges...both are fruit but still completely different. IFR at 200 feet over the Oggin is good for control technique and ulcers but has nothing to do with IFR flight in Controlled airspace and on Airways...again Apples and Oranges.

Gordy is right....the trick in converting to Civilian flying for a Military pilot is to be able to "learn" how to adapt, learn from others experienced in the work, and changing gears from being in a very controlled environment to one where you have to function pretty much on your own in a world fraught with hazards, risks, pressures, and an environment you are not experienced in.

When I screened Resume's....I looked for Pilots...Aviators...guys and gals with hands on experience and as much independent duty as possible. Rank and shed loads of "unit command" experience was actually a detriment. I looked for folks who could do the job and not just tell me how it should be done. A good clue on how the guy would fit in would be at the end of the pre-employment check ride....when I pointed out the scrub bucket, brush, and water hose. Stick yer beak up in the air over washing the aircraft and you got turned down flat.