PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greek Air traffic controllers on strike
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 19:56
kpnagidi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just want to clarify a few things you are not to blame for not knowing.

Area control in Greece is radar controlled. As of approach, radar guidance exists for Athina, Thessaloniki, Iraklion, Kerkyra and Rodos. Only. All the rest is procedural.
Are the controllers to blame there's no radar? Do you know of any blind who does not wish to see? But then where has all that money Eurocontrol been sending gone?
Greek goverments through history could explain I'm sure.

Can you blame the controllers for resisting the scheduled theft of their portion of Eurocontrol money? I can blame them for having overdone it with other schemes over the past years but not for this.
Not to mention a part of military controllers, obliged by greek law to obtain the same training and certification as their civilian collegues and serve civilian traffic but receive nothing else
but their military pay check, having no compensation for serving Eurocontrol flights (e.g. Andravida and Chania)

How many of you are still out there that even know the minima for procedural control? I will highlight only this: Seperation between flight in holding and other flight on course is obtained after five (5) minutes.
FIVE minutes!!! Do the math and turn this into miles...

Dear "whyisitsohard", you're holding over AKETO or any other holding for a reason. You just can't accept the same load when you're working with pen and paper.
And dear Capetonian, chaos occurs when you end up with accidents not delays. When was the last one you can recall with controllers to blame in Greece?

I won't even get into a discussion about the financial measures in Greece. None of you could understand.
As not all Germans were nazi, not all Greeks were/ are lazy or cheaters or whatever tag you want to put.

Thank you.

Last edited by kpnagidi; 23rd Oct 2011 at 20:27.