PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Part 66 B1-Help
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 16:28
flame_bringer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi imm
I'v been in the industry for 3 three years and Hope I can answer your questions.
''What I would become after completing this course an engineer or just a mechanic?''
Once you're done from the theoritical course you have to get a job and have work as a mechanic for 2 years and log all the work done in a logbook to complete the requirment for the license issuance and forward it to the UKCAA together with your theoritical course certificate and then based on your company requirments you may become an engineer in where you work and be sponsored for a type course or you may get an A1 approval which renders you a licensed mechanic that can sign off the routine tasks or may get nothing and be a technician for an unknown period it all comes down to your company requirment, Thats presuming you got a job of course and there is a likelihood that you stay home and not make it to even having a license (I'v seen such cases) given the scarsity in job vacancies lately.

""What's the time period of the entire course""
All in all roughly 4 years, Theoritical course is roughly 2 years long compounded with the practical phase which is another 2 years.

""Is there any part of the job to fly with the crew""
No.

""How much would be I paid""
It purely depends on your employer and position in the company, If you're a technician expect a fitter pay if you're a licensed mechanic expect a quite a bit more pay than the latter and if you're a full B1 engineer expect an engineer pay.

Qatar airways as far as I know are saturated however it's worth a try and if I was you I would first try to find an airline that offers an apprenticeship and get in as an apprentice that is sponsored by the company, or if thats not possible I would try to get in as a mechanic (you don't need to do any course to match the legal requirments of an aircraft mechanic post in the industry) and get some hands on expertise of atleast 1 year and secure my job then take an unpaid leave and go for this course or accumulate my leaves and do it otherwise It's a huge stake especially if you don't find a job after having completed the course then the whole lot of money that you paid will go wasted as doing a theoritical course without work experience is worth jack squat companies always favor experienced mechanics over the unexperienced folks with this kind of certificate which is worthless on it's own to the companies.

""Will I get a degree or just a license""
Just a license which expires if you don't work for 3 years.
And a part 66 modules certificate which again expires and has to be reobtained if you don't work for 5 years after obtaining it.

Advice:
This is not a fancy job you wouldn't be sitting in a fancy office even if you're an engineer you'll have to get greased up and work on the spanners and take the huge stake of releasing aircraft at the expense of you and if anything happens to the aircraft due to your mistake be prepared to be sacked and jailed, plus there is always the propability of staying jobless after completing the theoritical part if you're doing it when you're not yet employed and have 0 expertise, Its a very delicate industry so think twice before making a decision and investing your money into it.
Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask