PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARBON TAX-It's Started!
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 04:41
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheesh....again.

There is debate and dissent among climate scientists about the precise mechanisms, the exact details, the precise numbers, plus or minus the precise possible errors, and the precise contribution of the other factors in climate changes.

But what there is NOT any (credible) debate about among climate scientists and similar experts is:
  • the fact that it is happening
  • the extremely high probability that it is due to greenhouse gases
  • the absence of any other viable explanations
  • the greenhouse gases are due to our industrialisation
  • that there will be long term consequences, and some of these are visible and measurable already.

It is not worth your time to quibble over details.

This is like saying "well heck, gravitational acceleration could really be only 8 metres per second per second, and I'd argue that it may be substantially reduced by a passing asteroid, so we can't really be certain", as you leap into a graceful swan dive over that cliff.

Originally Posted by DLamination
Bottom Line - By how many poofteenths of a degree will Australia's carbon tax reduce the planet's temperature?...............I thought so.
By how many poofteenths of a percent will your $50 donation to the Salvos reduce world poverty?

Of course, virtually zero. So therefore, all of us should cease charitable donations immediately. They obviously have no effect. I will ensure I clearly explain this to the Salvo collector next time he comes around to the pub. I'll point him to the argument on the Professional Pilots Rumour Network. In fact, you've made me feel quite embarrassed about my last donation. It was only about $5 in loose change. Which will have a poofteenth of a poofteenth effect on world poverty.

Have I made my point?

Last edited by DutchRoll; 21st Oct 2011 at 05:20. Reason: Grammar, yet again....