PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning - That Kool Video = Loss Of Licence.
Old 21st Oct 2011, 03:37
slow n low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And whos to say they are Not low level endorsed, or military fast jet pilots during their day job, and are quite comfortable doing the same at 500kts?

and after reading some of the crap on this thread, its easy to see who would be good company at the bar, those who have lived, and those who are bitter and twisted wishing they could have lived and known how to have fun. there even video of guys doing the exact same thing as the trike pilot, but in a 747! we can't we all just appreciate the video for what it is someone actually having FUN while flying, now theres a novel thought...
Well they may be...who's to say. But I ask you why? The sort of profiles a fast jet pilot is likely to fly would be far more risk managed than a simple "hey let's see how low we can fly". There is a huge difference between the average joe punter in his C210 beating the beejesus out of everything he sees, and the professional aviator that is doing the job for a specific reason. Hours upon hours of map recce, flight planning, mission orders and mission rehearsals go into an average low level sortie (for mil ops). Not too mention the stringent SOP's and rigorous training and checking and retraining that goes on. Then there is the authorisation process which risk manages even further. That's even before an engine is turned.

I have spent a good chunk of my last 1300 hrs at 200 feet or below. It is a busy place and not very much time is given over to "wazzing" The crew is constantly considering options for the "what if's?" What are my escape options? How high can I climb? Which side of the valley do I fly down? Who am I calling in an emergency and on what radio? Whats the heading to fly if we go IMC? The list is endless.

So those are just some of the differences between the "hey let's have a go at this" approach (ie the novice who has had very little time to appreciate the wider consequences of his/her actions) and the "ok we have a job to do at low level or in form in a high risk environment, let's do it properly" approach (ie the pro who takes his/her time in examining as many of the possible outcomes as possible, then applies appropriate risk management plan...then rehearses...then fixes the plan..need I go on?)

The last thing I want to see when I am getting around at 50' while I am trying to get to a target...on time...in formation...whilst managing the tactical scenario, is for some clown crest the hill in front of me at zot feet having some "fun"

As for the poor old IFR jockey who has just on the end of his 5th sector for the day joining the arc for his umteenth approach this week, he/she does not expect to see old mate VFR hanging about a bit of fluffy cu as they commence the descent.

The same principles apply, they are busy getting on with the JOB of flying.

As for being good company, love to hear about exploits as much as the next bloke over a beer...from those who have a sound appreciation of what could go wrong. I still love my flying, I just have a very grown up approach to it. I have scared the cr@p out of myself and had others do the same.

Someone get me a ladder... I need to climb off this high horse..

Last edited by slow n low; 21st Oct 2011 at 04:01. Reason: Poor grammar...Spelling is next...