PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf LAME EBA Negotiations Begin
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 23:44
kotoyebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ben Sandilands - You can't win the job security clauses

Most of us, me included, thinks that Ben Sandilands brings much needed truth and common sense to the current dispute. So if most of us agree with him, do we also go along with his thoughts that we can't win the job security clauses the 2 main unions are seeking?

Basically his argument is that if a company's owners and management decide that they want to destroy their company, it's their right to do so.

What exactly are the Engineers' job security claims, and is there a middle ground that can be reached? If there isn't a middle ground, then the only conclusion I can see if the company won't concede something, and they don't look like they will, is arbitration. This will just give you the pay rises, and nothing else. And all this pain seems pointless.

I'm not suggesting to bend over and take it. Far from it. You guys are 100% right in your fight. But as Ben says, if the company is stupid enough to want to blow everything on a "luxury single aisle Asia based airline", and a low cost airline everyone hates, then what can you do? It's their train set.

Don't get me wrong, while not an engineer, my future and retirement is tied to this once great company too, and with the current management I am not too positive about that future.

Any thoughts, in particular from the FedSec?