PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Billionaires and Occupy Wall St.
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 20:38
Marcus550

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most difficult, uncomfortable part of purchasing the Gulfstream was the process of selecting our pilots. Without going into gory detail, I can tell you that a number of otherwise well qualified pilots did NOT get the jobs because of abominable interviewing skills. So to that end, I'll offer a bit of assistance.

First, and foremost LISTENto the interviewer. If you persist in answering questions he's not asking he won't be impressed. One example comes readily to mind:

Q. Mr. Smith, this is a very informal interview, I would like to get to know you as a person. So please relax, may I get you a cup of coffee?

Mr. Smith, who is sitting rigidly in the front one third of the chair, feet flat upon the floor, and hands upon his knees, replies:

A. I received my type rating in Savannah at Flight Safety two years ago, sir.

Granted this may be an odd approach to an interview. Our Captain had selected a couple of people for me to talk to. I totally defer to his judgment as to skills, experience and airmanship. I do want to know the people we're going to hire, as I want to hire people who will be comfortable with our family and with whom our family will be comfortable. I know that the interview process can be stressful for a pilot, and private owners often do the two tiered interview process (or three tiered) where ultimately the aircraft owner meets a few candidates acceptable to his pilot(s) and helps to decide among them.

If, in the interview process, an interviewer tells you that they'd like to get to know you as a person, they probably aren't either propositioning you, or interested in your aviation background as that will already have been assessed.

Second, suppose that your interviewer asks you something, that under U.S. law he isn't supposed to. You have several ways to respond, and you should consider why you're being asked this, and what the likely effect on your quest for employment might be.

Legally, I cannot ask you questions about your family, but I most certainly will, prefacing them with an explanation that I cannot properly ask them, and that you're free to decline to answer them. Why would I want to ask you about your family? My grandchildren (who are quite young) are frequent passengers on my aircraft. I would much rather hire a superb aviation who is married, has children, and likes kids, than a superb aviator who cannot stand children. So you're free to decline to answer and I won't press it, but at the end of the day, I have to ask myself...do I know enough about this guy's character to want to hire him.

Thirdly, do NOT bring up politics during the course of an interview. I've seen this happen startlingly often. And don't assume because the aircraft owner is wealthy, that he is therefore conservative, Republican or a tea partier. Oddly enough, most of my neighbors (who are reasonably well off) are actually liberal democrats. So... you just don't know. You may espouse your admiration for Rick Perry and end the interview right there. Or for Barack Obama and end the interview right there.

Fourth, do NOT bring up the subject of religion during an interview. If the interviewer asks, you should tell him that you don't choose to answer. But if you bring it up you become fair game. No matter how convinced you are of the rectitude, correctness and glory of your faith, the interviewer may be of a different persuasion (or he may think that your brand of religion is good for a belly laugh). You simply cannot know.

I had an individual who had been flying a G450 for a televangelist for a couple of years tell me that he'd be a better choice for the job than the other applicants because "God was his copilot". Since we were, at the time, looking for a copilot that seemed a bit odd. My copilot doesn't have a copilot of his own, and I like it that way.

I will also guarantee you that owners of family jets, if you happen to get interviewed, will ask you some truly odd questions. Talking with friends (an LR60 owner and a C680 owner) I have complied a list of things they've asked potential employees. When I have a bit more time, I'll share these with you.