PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 14:50
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 DME ARC
I am very surprised at the negativity on NYC! Why should the people of the North East not have a direct link to the US! Just think of the prestige a link to the US would bring to the North East region and to businesses!
I fear that you really need to get down off your soap box on this one as you seem to becoming rather blinkered & somewhat "jingoistic" on this subject.
Before the flack comes back, then I am not a spotter, I cross the Atlantic several times a year on a regular basis, and I live in the North East and probably have been around for even longer than yourself.
A few points, then you could do better than reconsider the content of the previous post by "Roverman" which sets out the economic issues very clearly & succinctly, assuming that you are able to get over any prejudice you may have towards MAN.
I find it very interesting that
" you do know the reasoning behind AA dropping the route!"
which for whatever reason you choose not to divulge, and is now totally irrelevant.
The reality is that no one has taken up the route as they are able to make more money elsewhere with the same available resources.
Next point, I don't particularly feel full of joy that on many west bound flights crossing UK airspace at FL310 or above having endured 2 hours flight time & 90 minutes at hub in transit, and if it were as simple as boarding at NCL and deplaning in NYC then this gripe would be valid. However NYC is rarely a final destination & as such a connection somewhere would always be necessary, though I do take on your point that this may turn into two connections for those travelling on to "Backofbeyondsville".
The simple fact is that on most occasions I am able to get to my destination with one stopover ex AMS/CDG. Moreover as I like a bit of comfort, then there are also many more seating arrangements and class choice available than would be on offer on a "3:3" 757 ex NCL. As such unless the timing was suitable, and on offer was a single "point to point" route, then I hate to admit that I would probably consider all European hub alternatives.
Interestingly I have on occasions looked at the alternative transatlantic offerings on 757 from EDI and assume that on a similar price structure, then unlikely to be any cost savings vs.the use of the current Euro hub connection.
Finally to revisit “Rovermans” point then it’s extra pax that are required! i.e. “excessive demand”, as simply stating that there is a demand understates the issue as to the effect on dilution of traffic on all currently available Euro feeder routes.