PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training in the U.S.A.
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 17:37
carbonfibre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good posts

I will addd my penniesworth!!!

I have been to the states 5 times to fly and as yet not had a problem, UNTIL i flew out of a supposed proffesional school.

Not wishing to name this school, "unless you look at old threads", it would become obvious. After Sept 11th i went to this school, No visa required, pass rate was supposed to be on the high side, they didnt tell you it was nearly all partail passes, no planning and they were outside of the 6:1 instructor / student ratio, this was the CAA extra checked JAA flight school. They are an unscrupulous school as is the owner, all i will say to the wannabees is work the costs out, it is not that much cheaper!!!!

Now with a mere 300 hrs and commerical etc, i have seen some flight schools, I have to say until that point i had not been to a bad one, which from most peoples experience is quite a relief.

One of the best i had been to was a US flight school, teaching FAA liscences. I only went there for some Instrument brush up and some night experience, but the time and effort put into a mere 9hrs that i flew there you would have thought i was parting with 000's.

In the UK i have found and can honestly say that all the instructors i have flown with, and that includes the ones passing through, have been professional.

Gonewest, the US school i attended that provided JAA training, was in my view, arrogant, unorganised, and was certainly on the poorer side of any flight school i have attended.

I think it is fair to say, that there are good and bad in all industries, its just in this one the unfortunate tend to lose out with skills they need and money they earned to the unscrupulous.

P.S. Go west do you hire multis at a good rate, and where r u?

Good thread though