PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in a Twin
Thread: PPL in a Twin
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:00
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with Pace.

I'm a pretty new twin flyer, but have already had my left engine semi-fail on my previous cross country. 2 cylinders went bad, one chewing oil rings plugging up the sparks and making damage, the other shedding a valve. I was over Iowa fields at the moment and only an hour away from my destination, Chicago. Engine ran rough but was still producing power on 4 cylinders (which I didn't know then, I though it was a magneto problem), so I opted to continue. Because I knew that flying the Commander on one is a total non-event. In my type conversion, we shut one down completely and landed with it as you should. Rudder trim for it and she'll fly all day long like that.

Aircraft has since been repaired and just end of last week I flew her back. With two new cylinders I was weary of crossing Rockies and Sierra Nevadas, so I opted for a more southerly route, via New Mexico and Arizona with lower mountains. What I hadn't counted on is how extremely barren these areas are and I felt terrible lonely and apprehensive over these huge vast forests, canyons and mountains (albeit lower than the Rockies). In those cases I was very glad to be sitting in a twin - below me there were literally zero options for a successful forced landing.

A twin is not hard to fly on one engine. And most importantly, if you ever get into control troubles with a twin, just reduce the good engine until your control problems disappear and start over. If you're heavy, trying to outclimb things and run out of rudder, Vmc, pull back, reconfigure, rethink. As Pace said, they'll fly S&L all day long at lower altitudes. It's pretty intuitive.