PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air China B777 bases
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2011, 21:14
Alconguin Crusader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an Emirates pilot has to take into account is how much he is working and what that translates into an hourly rate.
With lines north of 90 hours a month I am barely making $118 an hour. A figure which is what most international wideobdy FOs make. Yes they pay tax on that but they don't pay 2-3 months salary to educate their kids. They don't pay 5 bills when they go to the grocery store or out to eat in Dubai. They probably don't drop a brick when they do Christmas shopping at the local mall.
What I am saying is Dubai is very expensive as we all know.
Yes Typhoon and others are making good coin but what do they get for that coin. Lot's of hours and the privledge of living in a 3rd world country.
One has to wonder how long we all are going to live. Historically international pilots have only worked 75 hours a month. As our health bares witness we are over 20% of that monthly historical figure with many backside of the clock flying hours and mulitple time zone transgressions.
Are we going to live to 65, 70? I can't imagine living as long as our forefathers did and they did not live long and they had it loads easier than we do currently.
The money is good (not great) but what good is that money going to do you when you are either divorced because you are always away and when you do see the wife you are dog ass tired or you are pushing up daises?