PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali pirates caught by Russian Navy
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2011, 20:09
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
rh200,

Of course people keep paying up, try going in and releasing them and you’d get a lot of people killed, THEN the price would really go up!

Romeo Oscar Golf.

Possibly, though it was pre air defence days. Not sure about soft and wet and drippy, my job was to turn SAM sites and the like to irradiated waste dumps, not sure that there was TOO much soft wet and drippy about that.

As to the 'crap coming from the legal profession', the City of London, where an awful lot of this is managed from, take advice from the military and the likes of the UN.
What defines an average pirate? Not entirely sure but of the roughly 250 folk currently held hostage I suspect that there is little danger of those folk dying unless the likes of Navaleye and SASless get their way.
Hundreds of crews and passengers have been hijacked over the years and very little harm has come to them.
Don’t get me wrong, I am no advocate of piracy nor do I condone it. Robust self protection is fine by me, including the use of deadly force if appropriate. I am just massively against the ridiculous and murderous nonsense of opening fire on a suspicious vessel with something like a 4.5” gun.

Basil,

They are not the enemy and no one is waging war. It’s criminal activity for financial gain.

Cold blooded murder as you suggest would achieve diddly squat. Thankfully you and the likes of you are not making any response and are authorising nothing of the sort.

Navaleye and SASless,

You are merely advocating discriminate cold blooded murder. You engage these suspected pirate vessels with the likes of a 4.5” gun and you are going to be killing innocents by the score. Take a look at the actual facts of recent captures and interventions. They are stack full of tales of these vessels containing captured hostages, crews of Somali fishing vessels, dhows and whalers who have been forced at gun point to run the ships, families of said crews are often on board as well. That doesn't even begin to cover the terrible prospect of misinformation and misidentified ships.

As a few other posters have said, thankfully you two are retired and no longer able to commit such acts of gross criminal neglect. I think you should be grateful. Should you have been able to adopt the policies you advocate, you would both be serving time in prison for murder.

overun,

You are either 13 or just plain weird.