PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 down Switzerland
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2011, 12:35
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I know only what I read here (and the other thread) so only jump down my throat that far....

From what I see here, and from my experience with different pilot types, I will watch with interest for a future report to draw parallels between these two events.

For the purpose of this discussion, "flight", in the CFIT context, is presumed to be under the pilot's control (pilot had the ability to fly it differently (less risk) if they chose...). The "CF" part. Sounds to me from what I read here, both circumstances involved flight which was controlled to the point of contact with the earth (but I do not have "facts")

The "IT"part for into terrain = did the pilot hit the surface of the earth? Seems so in both cases...

That is a big parallel in both events (if it is indeed the case in both events)

Unsuitable conditions (and yes, I know what the writer of this phrase intended) do extend beyond just atmospheric conditions though - extends to pilot attitude, knowledge/choice of landing surface, or flying without a safe "out".

Poor pilot attitude could be an example of a poor condition, as would be flying an aircraft in a manner so as to make an adequately safe gliding landing not possible. (As I remember, that field looked really nice, beside the river Derwent in the photo!).

As I write this, I think further than just the two events associated here, there are so many others.... Anyone recall that recording of the communication between the Piper pilot and New York ATC, when that pilot decided to execute a beach landing not too long ago? Same theme in my mind....

In my past, I have encountered the pilot type which commonly gets labeled "cowboy". I have to admit to having some of those traits earlier on (now I have a job to do safely, including setting a good example!). Some cowboys are more so than others. I grounded one once, and have spoken sharply to a few others along the way. It's not often well received, but perhaps it adds one small observation to their "should I not be doing this? mindset".

For those pilots who can learn here (all of us I hope), Pilot attitude, and simply allowing your inner "scared" nerve to have a say, can save your and your pax life.