PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peter Nielsen murderer to be retried
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2011, 01:51
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the aspects of the (post-crash) tragedy that still angers me, is the culpability that could be attributed to the media reportage of the event.

As is today's fashion, "yesterday's news" is no longer considered interesting enough to warrant the order of follow up that should have occurred.

When the facts started to emerge, and it became clear that Mr Nielsen's actions were not the sole cause of the accident (and, IMO, a long way down the chain of causality) the media should have been reporting this, as a number one story. Not relegated, several days or weeks later, to a smallish item on page 7, or twenty minutes into the news report.

This may have made a difference, but possibly not. As stated above, the man who killed him was quite possibly insane, to some degree, at the time.

Long and short is: Peters' name should never have been released.

Daermon ATC, I'm utterly in agreement with the sentiment of your post above. The only minor point of difference I have with what you wrote is that I don't think that the controller represented the last slice of cheese. The last slice was the TCAS system, which functioned perfectly, and was deliberately ignored by the flight crew (senior member) of the 154. Poor training, and the culture at the time were causal factors. And, I think, the speed at which the technology was required to be introduced.

One of CANSO's current dreams concerns remote towers. The technology has come along nicely. It promises to save a little bit of money, by combining sectors (towers) during projected light traffic times. I'm very interested to see just how the ANSP's who embrace this intend to mitigate against the obvious hazards involved in a split-sector operation, as were horribly demonstrated at Uberlingen.

But that is for another thread; hopefully not another news story. Memories can be awfully short.