PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett 737 last day (CZD)
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 06:50
glastar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ansett demise

I find it difficult to believe that Richard K. can be so mis-informed.

I started flying with ANA and was there when Reg took over.

I flew one of the DC-3's when we took staff to Sydney to vote out Butler Air Transport.

I was quite senior when Abeles took over in the early 80's and attended many cocktail gatherings on the 17th floor when Abeles was picking our brains in order to try and run an airline.

Very early he started to sell off assets and lease back.

This was the begining of the end, about 20 odd years before final collapse.

Air NewZealand was just the nail in the coffin.

Later in 89, my seniority number was 007, and if some one had provided me with a silver bullet I could have probably solved the problem we had then.

I took up a position at SIA and at the first bussiness meeting I attended, my wife and I met Dr Cheong.
When he found we were Australians he welcomed us to Singapore and made a statement I will never forget.

He said there was no problem with the 1050 pilots who left just a problem with 4 management types who could not manage.

He also stated SIA would not consider Ansett unless they could get 51%.

So Richard, if you are going to make statements about the collapse of Ansett read a little history first.

Better still don't comment at all.

PS. I am the last Australian National Airways pilot still flying and hope to keep going a few more years yet.

50 years is up in January next

I hope you all have as satisfactory a flying carrear as me, just look forward and don't lament the past.

What's done is done, but the world is a big and wonderfull place and there are opportunities for those who open their horizons.