PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at BHX - 29 Oct 02
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2002, 06:56
Bigpants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The comments by BIK and others about BHX are spot on, the airport should have spent money on improving the paved surfaces years ago. Unfortunately, like "Railtrack" they appear to be more keen on spending money upgrading the retail side of the terminal.

I landed on RW15 about 10 minutes before the 767 incident, the runway was wet, the area around the turn off was as usual slippery and there was once again pressure to vacate as we had one aircraft lined up ready to roll and another at 2-3 miles. Having also flown the 767 I can appreciate how easy it would be if light for the nosewheel to bounce and skip over that last 100m of rough concrete.

In mitigation to all concerned the airport response and that of the crew was very good. The emergency vehicles were on the scene promptly, communication was effective and to drag a 767 back onto the runway as quickly as they did was impressive. No clue as to why it occured so please don't hang the flight crew just yet I am sure the management will be only too keen to jump on the bandwaggon shortly.
Regards BP