PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cityflyer
Thread: BA Cityflyer
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2011, 15:13
rallymania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EM190 into LCY

First off, as a fairly frequent traveller on EDI to LCY and back (roughly once a month for the last five years) i have to say loving the new fleet, much more comfortable and (my perception) much fewer delays.

anyway, next stoopid question in a very occasional series. (my last one about the old RJ's was a little off the mark so i'm ready for a mocking)
em190 steep approach into LCY, deploys speedbrakes on the final part of the descent.
if you were landing from a similarly steep profile approach, but onto a runway say twice as long would you still use the speed brakes?
ie are they needed to keep the speed down in the descent, or is it to allow the approach to be made with more throttle applied and thus speed up the transition into a go around if you need to abort the approach?
Or do the passengers just need waking up, and this is the easyist way to do it without touching them?

PS i know no real need for knowing the answer to this, it just popped into my head on Wednesday while being shoogled into LCY