PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did the Starfighter ever shoot anything down?
Old 7th Oct 2011, 09:10
NutherA2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEON.........

1960s 1xC130 bagged by a Javelin and a manoeuvre kill against a MiG17 by a Hunter - all hushed up due to politics
This old chestnut has been suggested before, but does anyone have any shred of evidence to support the claim? I flew Javelins with 60 Sqn from 1963 until 1966 and am quite unaware of any engagement of an Indonesian C130 by any of our (or 64 Sqn) aircraft at any time. We were regularly involved in ADIZ scrambles and border patrols over Malaya and Borneo, but never found a target to intercept; the Indonesian ground troops, however, shot down one of their own C130s on the Borneo border. In December 1964 there was an incursion by 2 Hercules dropping paratroops at Labis, Malaya, but we were not scrambled to intercept; it was rumoured that Gombak GCI had detected the incoming, but had not reacted "for sensitive political reasons". It was also rumoured that the Indonesians had launched 3 aircraft but that one was lost, probably having flown into the sea. Suggestions may have been leaked to Djakarta that we had in fact shot this one down. The following night Gombak got quite excited over a possible radar target nd this time I was scrambled, but nothing came of it.

Similarly, had a 20 Sqn Hunter found a Mig I am quite sure we would have heard all about it. These "kills" are simply a fairy tale.

Back to the F104 thread, there was, I believe, a Starfighter that shot itself down in the early days; it apparently accelerated during Vulcan cannon firing trials and caught up with its own shells!

Last edited by NutherA2; 7th Oct 2011 at 10:16.