PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did the Starfighter ever shoot anything down?
Old 7th Oct 2011, 08:20
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leon and others,

Oh no, not this one again? RAF kills since WW2? Why so sensitive? Yes, I've heard from well informed historians about the 40s Spitfire kills. After that, the rest are by RAF pilots serving in others' aircraft, or own goals. The ones 'hushed up by politics' - go on, prove them.

That results in a pretty low total. Compared to say, for instance, the Fleet Air Arm, not many really. The main reason - most of the wars we have got involved in since WW2 have been in places that the RAF fighters have not been able to get to for some time.

Why can't we agree - the definition of an 'RAF' kill is an RAF aircraft, pilot of any stripe or uniform (after all, we don't try to divide up Battle of Britain kills by pilot service, do we?) under RAF command shooting down an enemy aircraft.

I know Dave Morgan well, and he would be the last person in the world to claim his Falklands kills as 'RAF'.

Izod tester, I know about the 'human cost'. Slightly miffed you chose to bring that one up that way. I'm not 'sniping' - as ever, I'm trying to stay with the facts. If you want to know what does get me seeing red, it's when senior RAF officers claim on TV that the RAF has shot down aircraft when they haven't.
There were plenty of targets in Korea and the Falklands - and the ROE let the FAA shoot them down. Just because the RAF wasn't there doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Best Regards as ever,

Engines