PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot standards decreasing?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2011, 23:25
CrankyATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot standards decreasing?

OK so this is more a whinge than anything, but its also indicative of the decreasing standards or airmanship of pilots in general.

I work in a tower in Australia. Over the last 12 months, I am appalled at the level of airmanship displayed by lighty pilots (although RPT operators are far from exempt).

I cannot count the amount of times that someone has called for taxi with an obscure destination, and when being asked what track that is, the usual reply is "standby, the GPS isn't up yet"!

Or even worse, get airborne, spearing off at 90 degrees (or greater) than the expected track, when questioned where they were going and given the appropriate track, reply " GPS must be wrong"! Makes me wonder what would happen without intervention..

(See Dick, thats why we get departure reports)

Is not basic navigation still being taught? You know, compass/clock/landmarks?

How the hell do you jump into an aircraft and have NO idea on your heading? This to me indicates that maybe the fuel planning is not appropriate either...

Are licences too easy to get these days? I know it wasn't when i got mine. And i know i don't get into an aircraft without having worked out a full flight plan...

And don't even get me started on the problem of not knowing if they are south west or south east of a position..

Anyone else finding the same issues?