PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ba Longhaul Yesterday Ex-t4
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2002, 13:26
Pandora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M. Mouse,

you feel slightly superior because you read only used newspapers but you seem to have slightly missed your own point which is 'where do you draw the line?' I also read only used newspapers, but regardless of whether it has been discarded or not, the newspaper was not put on for my use. The most ridiculous thing I have heard of late is the tale of two engineers, who, on arrival at the aircraft early one morning were offered a cup of tea, since the brewer was on for the rest of the crew. They were caught drinking BA tea on the aircraft and suspended. This was at the same station where we used to be met by the police looking for any left over baguettes for their own breakfast.

Only an idiot would take an item of value off the aircraft, and I don't believe rubbish is of any value to BA. Morale is low enough as it is and we don't need office wallahs reducing it further by denying hardworking staff a cup off tea, or something to relieve the boredom on a long flight. you can't even buy a drinkable cup of tea these days before 6am at Compass Centre. A little humanity and respect by our employers would go a long way towards improving to morale of front line staff.

I know that there will always be the odd person who will completely abuse their position, and anyone causght wil miniatures, items from the duty free trolley, etc deserves what they get. But rubbish and cups of tea on the aircraft are an entirely different matter.

PS On my BA CRM training the training captain actually told us that generosity and respect toward the people we work with is rewarded by those people wanting to acheive the best they can at work. 'So if eng is out in the cold and dark, offer him a cup of tea when he gets up to sign the paperwork, and he will go away inclined to help you out next time.'